In This Section.
- New Products & Technologies.
- Ask Frank the Crank – Technical Tips
- Top Redemption & Merchandise Prizes
I had never seen or knew about this revolutionary technical idea. Maybe there is an idea for a redemption game that tests your skills for parking a car? Now you can watch a real TV commercial from 65 years ago. Enjoy.
A&A’s carbon footprint has now been reduced by the equivalent of:
- Planting 31,974 acres of trees
- Powering 5,366 homes
- Removing 8,212 passenger vehicles from the road
Cost. $3.3 M with 5104 solar panels.
Generates 2,000,000 kWh/year. A&A currently uses all of this electricity.
Building is 212,000 sq. ft.
Prior Electric Bills $22,000-$25,000/month. For calculations I used an average of $23,000/month = $275,000/year. In 12 years they have recovered their investment.
After 12 years they have ‘free’ electricity. It was reported that investment would be recovered in 4 years so there must have been great energy investment credits available.
Benefits: Electrical rates will most likely increase in the future; A&A’s electrical usage will decrease with other new technologies; A&A can then sell excess electricity to the grid.
Here’s the Ticket!
LAI’s new Snap Shot Photo Booth APP is pretty cool. Long story short, the pictures you take at the Booth can be sent to the APP and readily viewed/downloaded to your cell phone. To date more than 275,000 customer photos have been uploaded. Snap Shot received one of the two AMOA Innovator Awards at last year’s Amusement Expo so you know that Snap Shot is a technology leader and is continuing its efforts to raise the bar in the photo booth category.
‘Operators can now buy the media directly from the manufacturer (Mitsubishi) or its distributors’, according to LAI, and this brings the cost per vend down to about 16 cents. On a $3 vend this translates to a cost of sales of only 5%.
Rollercoaster Restaurant Coming to UK’s Alton Towers This Month. New Space Themed Restaurant Will Feature 1300+ Feet of Mini-Sized Track
Here’s the Ticket!
Guests will certainly be uniquely entertained as they watch their dining orders drop down 25 feet on two twisting and turning rollercoaster loops at the speed of Marathon Man and arriving at their table. I wonder if the soup gets turned upside down? Can we order ‘eggs over easy’ or a specialty drink with a ‘twist of lemon’?
For this issue the technical tips will be both fun and educational.
I personally like the medium size but this short video clip changed my mind. And I thought I was creative……
A few TRR’s back we had a video of how easy it is to pick a Master Lock. This short video clip shows how easy it is to open a highly rated office safe. The purpose of showing how to do this, is not for any of us to actually do it, but to send a message that we and our customers should be a lot more careful in how and where money and valuables are stored, including debit cards, tokens, and tickets in our businesses and hotel saves when we travel.
10 Observations of a Watchful & Thoughtful Veteran Games Technician (Dave Forlano, Alpha-Omega Amusements, Regional Technician). Here are 10. Next issue we will have 10 more.
A games tech not only repairs games and handles day to day operations but can be valuable in many other ways. The following are what I have observed over the years and ‘what they could mean.’:
Our games are mainly operated in family entertainment centers, amusement parks, waterparks, arcades, and casino/hotels. I no longer believe in happenstance or coincidence. The world, including our industry, follows Newton’s 3rd Law: ‘For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.’
In the following scenarios there is an opposing outcome that is a result of a situation that one should not be so quick to rectify. The lesson learned is to stand back and observe. You may learn something that could make your company even more money…
- Long lines are forming at the Redemption Prize Center because we are one staff person short. What are the some of the people waiting now doing? Wow! They are playing the ‘quick play’ games that we always place in the vicinity of the RPC! These games are getting ‘extra play.’
- Facility promotions geared to a big give-a-ways for parents always seems to cause a revenue spike for our games. The parents bring a proportionate number of ‘tag along’ family members and we see increased game play across the board.
- Game Tournaments are great but our games make more money from the players ‘practicing’ leading up to our regular scheduled tournaments. The game tournaments are posted on a board so players know that there is going to be a tournament on a specific game in two weeks, for example.
- This is not meant to be sexist but I have noticed that the centers that have female security staff (even if they positioned outside of the game zone) have a higher attendance and longer stay of teens, male of course, but also female. Heck, I have even noticed a higher than usually number of older dads ‘hanging around’. Maybe physics comes into play here? I have also observed that Moms feel more comfortable going up to a female security person and letting her know about a problem or potential problem regarding one or more customers. [I am not a sports caster so do not take me seriously on this. Yes male security could be good too.]
- Intimidating Security Guards. They have the opposite effect and our games make ‘less’ money when they are present. Newton’s 3rd Law at play again.
- Lighting. Lighting in a games zone has the same effect on game revenues as foot traffic is affected by a dark alley or a well-lit one. Placing a Monster Drop Extreme in a well-lighted area will attract many more players than placing it in a dark corner, even with the great attractive white lights of the game. More lumens usually means more revenues.
- Cell Phone Charging. Are you kidding? How can this be relevant? At the end of an evening, most of our customers’ cell phones are dying. With the exceptions of those few customers who unplug our games to charge their cell phones, our customers know where the extra outlets are located. The games that are located right next to an outlet make additional revenue while a customer’s phone is being charged. Is it ‘guilt’ that causes the additional play or is it that the player just needs something to do? [Note that my boss has placed these additional outlets for this purpose when he does the electrical drawings. [Also for the cleaning staff to use for the vacuums and floor polishers after closing so they do not have to unplug our games].
- Crowds of People Gathered at the Entrance/Exit. For example, a bus load arrives and the group is standing in line near the Entrance to get tokens or debit cards from the kiosk (or use the ATM). The reaction here is similar to the backed-up redemption line. In this situation, many of the people play the cranes that are located adjacent to the bill changers and kiosks. Yes, we all place the bill changers and kiosks near the Entrance and savvy operators also place their cranes and merchandisers up front so the guests have to walk by them on the way in and again on the way out. And the group will continue to play the cranes until all of the group has gotten their tokens or debit cards.
- Games with Slanted Control Panel Tops. Games that have drink cup holders tend to make more money than they do without them. Games with flat top control panels tend to make more money than the same game with a slanted control top. We learned this when we used to use a lot of conversion kit games in the old days and install them in cabinets with a flat top control panel. Chinese proverb says: “Game with puddle in front get less play.’ Newton’s 3rd Law is still with us.
HMS Monaco has a newly renovated and redesigned website that makes viewing and shopping much easier for customers. To publicize this, HMS is running a promotion in May that any customer ordering online through the new website will automatically receive a 5% discount on anything that they order.
HMS Monaco – List of Top 10 Selling Items for Spring/Summer Season
1.) Multi-function Smart Watches
2.) Emoji Plush, novelties, hats, and prize machine kits
3.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles plush and novelties
4.) Superman, Batman, and Avengers 32 Oz. Drinking Cups, Value priced at $.69/Pc.
5.) Original 12″ Pillow Pets in retail displays
6.) Star Wars plush and novelties
7.) Over the Ear Headphones and Earbuds, especially ones with blue tooth capabilities
8.) Computer Tablets at value pricing
9.) Trendy Novelties
10.) Licensed movie plush including Angry Birds, Capt. America, the Secret Life of Pets, etc.
Contact Steve at 800-777-0901
TWO Movies are being Released:
- TMNT 2 is Coming to Theaters June 3, 2016
6” TMNT VINYL BALL= NT-VINBA, 100PCS/CS, $41.00CS
7”-11” TMNT PLUSH MIX=KI-PLTUR, 48PCS/CS, $120.00CS
NEW LINE OF PLUSH= QUBZ NT-NTB10 (5”X3”X2.5”) and NT-NTB30 (8”X5”X4”)
More items in RINCO Redemption Catalog http://gfx.rinovelty.com/drop/2016_RINCO_Redemption.pdf
- Finding Dory is Coming to Theaters June 17, 2016
SBCLOW5= Due by the first week of June… $0.32ea
For this movie, add more items:
- Finding Dory
SBCLOW5= 5” Clown Fish Vinyl Ball
PF-CLO30= 15” Clown Fish Plush
PF-TUR10= 8” Blue and Pink Turtle Plush
PF-TUE30= 12” Green Turtle PlushPF-BFI10= 8” Blue Tang Fish Plush
PF-BFI30= 11” Blue Tang Fish Plush
Call your salesperson for availability and pricing or go to page #29 in our Redemption Catalog http://gfx.rinovelty.com/drop/2016_RINCO_Redemption.pdf
Rhode Island TOP 10 REDEMTION PRIZES For May/June:
ZY-LASPO – LASER POP PROJECTOR CANDY
ZY-GUMB3 – 3FT DOUB-BUBB METAL GUMBALL MACHINE
DO-MERM4 – 4″ MERMAID
VE-CARFR – 7″FRICTION CAR
PA-PUPPI – 1.5″ BIG HEAD PUPPIES
SK-SPLBR – 2.75″ BRAIN SPLAT BALL
EL-ROCRA – 13″ RAINBOW GROOVY LAMP
PA-GROSN – 15.25″ JUMBO GROW SNAKE
AP-GPI25 – 25” PINK GIRAFFE PLUSH
TY-DRUSE – 17″ DESK TOP DRUM SET
Rhode Island Novelty Top Prizes March/April
GW-MOBLU (Blue) – GW-MOOPI (Pink) – GW-MOOBL (Green) – Moon Blasters
DO-DOLPO – Doll Set
PL-BEA36 – 36” Natural Color Bear Plush
GA-WTOGA – 2 in 1 Wooden Toss Game
EL-ROCR – Rainbow Groovy Lamp
SB-RAI18 – 18” Rainbow Ball
SB-KNORB – 5” Rainbow Knobby Ball
SB-EMOJI – 5” EMOJI VINYL BALL
GL-FOBAT – 15.5” Light-up Foam Baton
GL-FLYUM – LIGHT UP FLYING HELICOPTER UMBRELLA
PS-GLLED – 5.75″ 10oz FLASHING GLASS
FR-SELFO – FOLDED SELFIE STICK
DO-DOLPO – 7.5″X5.5″ DOLL SET
TY-SKAPL – 21.5″ PLASTIC RETRO SKATEBOARD
TY-BASMA – 5.5″ MAGIC SHOT BASKETBALL SET
IN-JUMMA – 54″ JUMBO MALLET
GL-BATON – 18.9″ LIGHT UP FOAM BATON
LA-PUNCH – 9″ PUNCH BALL
ZA-STRTU – 4.5″ STRETCH TURTLE
KC-POPAN – 2.4″ JIGGLE EYE ANIMAL KEYCHAINS
PA-SOMIX – 6”-9” RUBBER ANIMALS WITH SOUNDS MIX
PA-TUR72 – 2” RUBBER TURTLE MIX
PA-RUB72 – 2” RUBER ANIMAL MIX
RD-AS100 – 2” RUBBER DUCKIE MIX
18” Rainbow Balls in The Big One
Corporate Sales Support
Ph: 800-435-3456 ext #400….Fx: 508-675-9406
|Item Number||Description||Casepack||U/M||$ EACH|
|AP-GPI25||25″ GIRAFFE (PINK) 6/12||6||PC||$ 12.00|
|DO-DOLPO||7.5″X5.5″ DOLL SET 48/12||48||SET||$ 1.40|
|DO-MERM4||4″ MERMAID 24/14||24||DZ||$ 0.25|
|EL-ROCRA||13″ RAINBOW GROOVY LAMP 12/25||12||PC||$ 7.20|
|FR-SELFO||FOLDED SELFIE STICK 48/17||48||PC||$ 2.75|
|GA-WTOGA||2 in 1 WOODEN TOSS GAME 6/30||6||SET||$ 8.75|
|GL-FLYUM||LIGHT UP FLYING HELICOPTER UMBRELLA60/15||60||DZ||$ 0.20|
|GL-FOBAT||15.5″ LIGHT UP PREMIUM FOAM BATON 6/8||6||DZ||$ 0.56|
|GW-MOBLU||19.5″ G-I-D BLUE MOON BLASTER GUN 24/20||24||PC||$ 3.75|
|GW-MOOBL||19″ GLOW IN DARK MOON BLASTER 24/18||24||PC||$ 3.75|
|GW-MOOPI||19.5″ G-I-D PINK MOON BLASTER GUN 24/20||24||PC||$ 3.75|
|IN-JUMMA||54″ JUMBO MALLET 4/29||4||DZ||$ 2.25|
|KC-POPAN||2.4″ JIGGLE EYE ANIMAL KEYCHAINS 24/10||24||DZ||$ 0.23|
|KI-PLTUR||7″-11″ 48pc TMNT PLUSH KIT 1/13||1||CASE||$ 2.50|
|LA-PUNCH||9″ PUNCH BALL 100 PCS/BAG 10/15||10||BAG||$ 0.12|
|NT-NTB10||5″x3″x2.5″ TMNT STAKZ 12/||12||DZ||$ 1.05|
|NT-NTB30||8″x5″x4″ TMNT STAKZ 4/||4||DZ||$ 2.40|
|NT-VINBA||5″ TMNT VINYL BALL 1/32||1||CASE||$ 0.41|
|PA-GROSN||15.25″ JUMBO GROW SNAKE 12/31||12||DZ||$ 0.90|
|PA-PUPPI||1.5″ BIG HEAD PUPPIES 48/21||48||DZ||$ 0.20|
|PA-RUB72||72 PC 2″ RUBBER ANIMAL MIX 6/16||6||UNIT||$ 0.22|
|PA-SOMIX||96 PC 6-9″ RUBBER ANIMAL WITH SOUND MIX 1/29||1||CASE||$ 1.04|
|PA-TUR72||72 PCS 2″ RUBBER TURTLE MIX 72PCS/UNIT 6/||6||UNIT||$ 0.22|
|PL-BEA36||36″ NATURAL BEAR 6/16/35||6||PC||$ 9.25|
|PS-GLLED||5.75″ 10oz FLASHING GLASS 4/19||4||DZ||$ 1.40|
|RD-AS100||100 PC 2″ RUBBER DUCKY ASSORTMENT 3/12||3||BAG||$ 0.21|
|SB-ALI18||18″ ALIEN KNOBBY BALL 48 PCS/CS||1||CASE||$ 1.54|
|SB-BMA18||18″ MARBLE-BOUNCE BALL 1/26||1||CASE||$ 1.25|
|SB-CLOW5||5″ CLOWN FISH VINYL BALLS 100PCS/CS 1/||1||CASE||$ 0.32|
|SB-EMOJI||5″ EMOTICON VINYL BALL 1/||1||CASE||$ 0.32|
|SB-FLA18||18″ FLAME KNOBBY BALL 48PCS/CS||1||CASE||$ 1.54|
|SB-FUN18||18″ FUNNY FACE KNOBBY BALLS 6pcs/un 8/34||8||UNIT||$ 1.58|
|SB-KNO18||18″ KNOBBY BALL DEFLATED 1/34||1||CASE||$ 1.50|
|SB-KNORB||6″ RAINBOW KNOBBY BALL 100PCS/CS 1/14||1||CASE||$ 0.38|
|SB-MON18||18″ MONEY KNOBBY BALL 48PCS/CS||1||CASE||$ 1.54|
|SB-PAT18||18″ PATRIOTIC KNOBBY BALL 48PCS/CS||1||CASE||$ 1.54|
|SB-PRI18||18″ PRINCESS KNOBBY BALL 48PCS/CS||1||CASE||$ 1.54|
|SB-RBB18||18″ RAINBOW BALL 48PCS/CS 1/39||1||CASE||$ 1.75|
|SB-SMI18||18″ SMILE FACE BOUNCE BALL 1/25||1||CASE||$ 1.50|
|SK-SPLBR||2.75″ BRAIN SPLAT BALL 8/23/6||8||DZ||$ 0.35|
|TY-BASMA||5.5″ MAGIC SHOT BASKETBALL SET 24/31||24||DZ||$ 0.29|
|TY-DRUSE||17″ DESK TOP DRUM SET 12/16||12||PC||$ 4.10|
|TY-SKAPL||21.5″ PLASTIC RETRO SKATEBOARD 4/16/6||4||PC||$ 12.50|
|VE-CARFR||7″FRICTION CAR 5/20||5||DZ||$ 0.79|
|ZA-STRTU||4.5″ STRETCH TURTLE 24/40||24||DZ||$ 0.81|
|ZY-GUMB3||3FT DOUB-BUBB METAL GUMBALL MACHINE 1/32||1||PC||$ 91.00|
|ZY-LASPO||LASER POP PROJECTOR CANDY (k) 12/18||12||DZ||$ 1.02|
|Stock up on Movie and Popular Licensed Items at Sureshot|
|26629||Fun on the Go – Finding Dory 10″|
|26634||Destination Fun Color and Carry Activity Pad – Finding Dory 8″|
|26650||Finding Dory Sling Bag|
|26671||Finding Dory Candy Tube Topper (12 Cnt)|
|34107||Sparkle Sand Art – Finding Dory 11″|
|34122||Finding Dory Basic Backpack 16″ (Styles May Vary)|
|34123||Finding Dory Deluxe Backpack 16″ (Styles May Vary)|
|38221||Chester Clown Fish 8.5″|
|38223||Chester Clown Fish 14″|
|38225||Chester Clown Fish 20.5″|
|38226||Chester Clown Fish 29″|
|38231||Tilly Blue Tang 9″|
|38233||Tilly Blue Tang 12.5″|
|38235||Tilly Blue Tang 20″|
|38236||Tilly Blue Tang 27″|
|38241||Brody Turtle 8.5″|
|38243||Brody Turtle 14″|
|38245||Brody Turtle 21″|
|38246||Brody Turtle 27″|
|Great New Items for 2016|
|33789||Bluetooth Podigy Orb 2.0 Color Changing Speaker 6″|
|26424||Horse Figures (12 Asst. ) 4″|
|26500||Cute Animal Light-up Rings|
|26334||Dinosaur Pinchers 18″|
|11560||Wooden Paddle Ball – Expression Faces 9′|
|26368||Capsule Shape Kendama 4.5″|
|26379||Fabric Fuzzy Ball 9″|
|26442||Animal Print Rainbow Ball 9″|
|26495||Mini Pop Foam Blaster 3″|
|11556||Robot Squirters 1″|
|26589||Splash Fish Squirter 6.25″|
|26324||Fan with Handle – Zoo Animal Design 10.5″|
|26395||Sport Ducks 2″|
|26443||Mini Light and Sound Gun (2 Pcs) 3.5″|
|26507||Transparent Spring – Sea Animals 80MM|
|26588||Sand Bucket Playset (6 Pc Set)|
|26380||Wild Animal Zoom Cars|
|39317||Jumbo Plush Kit (24 Cnt) – Shopkins Strawberry/Apple/Kookie 10″|